Everyone is always looking for ways to cut back on spending. Here are some tips on how to efficiently use energy in your home, and to lower the cost of your utility bills!
1) Change light bulbs to energy efficient light bulbs
While energy efficient light bulbs cost more, they will save you money in the long run – and they are better for the environment!
2) Reduce the amount of water usage
- Don’t leave the faucet running when you brush your teeth – it can save you thousands of gallons of water a year!
- Take shorter showers
- Fix any leaking faucets. A leaking faucet can waste thousands of gallons of water a year
- Use a watering can to water your plants rather than an outdoor hose
3) Heating and air-conditioning
Unnecessarily using your AC is a major energy-waster. Closing the curtains is a great way to keep the outside temperature out. Placing a chair or other item of furniture against the window can help eliminate gaps where your home’s heating or air conditioning may be escaping.
4) Program your thermostat
You can set times of day that you want the heat or air conditioning to run, preventing it from running frequently while the home is empty during day time hours.
5) Unplug electrical devices
Small electronics consume energy even when they are turned to stand-by or off position. The energy you could be saving by unplugging these items is substantial.